1) From the marvellous Information is Beautiful – Novels everyone should read – a consensus cloud from top book lists and prizes
…and the same, but for Non-Fiction books.
2) Instagram gets to 300 million users worldwide and is now bigger than Twitter.
3) Interesting read from NYT – Why Are Some Cultures More Individualistic Than Others?
4) The 10 Most Viewed 3D Printed Products in November ( from Shapeways ).
5) Beautiful abandoned places.
6) How St Nicholas became Santa Claus – one version is a much more gruesome story than you’d imagine.
7) Love this – Walking While Working. Here is a company who took their office on the road ( and across a park and up a hill…. ).
8) BBC Five Live had a very engaging interview with James Hadfield – The Singing Astronaut this week ; which also involved a Q&A with a group of Manchester school kids . Inspirational stuff and especially recommended for all those of younger years , who have not yet decided what path to take in life.
9) 2014 was the ‘Year of the Drone’. Here are some drone highlights – both legal and illegal aerial shots.
10) Fabulous short, futuristic space exploration video from Erik Wernquist – Wanderers. A quote is included from Moby Dick ‘I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote, I love to sail forbidden seas’.
And here, some extra weekend reads…..
There Are At Least 5.25 Trillion Pieces of Plastic in the Ocean.
I won’t be trying this one when I go skiing next year – Voted by Powder magazine : The Skiing Line Of The Year.
Not a good time to take a helicopter sightseeing tour – Spectacular pictures show a sea of dense clouds filling the Grand Canyon , due to a rare weather system.
Two short videos : A player from Ice Hockey team the New York Rangers, wins game after having part of his left ear reattached.
Uncanny, from Metro : Sex dolls look incredibly lifelike in this seductive fashion shoot.