26th September 2014
2) Very interesting piece from (friend of @digital_filter) @neilperkin Buzzfeed and the Full Stack Startup, which talks about media companies starting from scratch in the digital space , compared to legacy organisations who are ( still ) seeking to transfer successfully.
So Buzzfeed is a media company in the same way that Netflix is a streaming movie company, or Uber a taxi company, or Tesla a car company. They have technology at their core.Buzzfeed has followed the classic path of disruptive technologies – coming in at the low end of the market, being initially dismissed by many as insignificant, but then moving steadily up market. BuzzFeed now reaches over 150 million people each month, is forecast to generate triple digit millions in revenues this year, and is consistently profitable. We under-estimate newcomers like this at our peril.
3) Apple seems to be coming under pressure with ‘Bendgate’ – the assertion (mostly by its competitors) that the iPhone 6 can bend if left in one’s back pocket overly long.
According to Wired it’s not a really a problem (surprise).
……and for those who are old enough to remember….. Here is a farewell to the iPod Classic. Now that was one sturdy piece of kit you’d have had trouble bending.
4) The Solace of Oblivion – Interesting piece from The New Yorker on the pressures facing Google to delete content , following the recent ruling by the European Supreme Court. So far they have deleted 30,000 pieces of content – under half the total number requested.
6) This looks great – The Art of The Brick, in Brick Lane – Put down your toys and go check out Nathan Sawaya’s toys instead. The global sensation The Art of the Brick exhibition is finally making an appearance in London, on Brick Lane. Works ranging from a Lego Mona Lisa to a six metre long T-Rex skeleton are playful, identifiable and impressive. Once done touring the exhibition, exit through the workshop space and create your own.
7) Seven ways to get more from your Creativity Training. Some very wise words from the gang at @uppingyourelvis (friends of @digital_filter). Here, in short, they are – – Knock Creativity off its pedestal, Innoculate, Who’s the Messenger, Being vs. Doing , One Hit Wonder, One size does not fit all and Make it Fun !
8) The little known story of how the wonderful Shawshank Redemption became one of the most beloved films of all time. ….and here are eleven of the best quotes from the film.
From WSJ , an easy and engaging set of infographics – What is Alibaba ?Alibaba is China’s – and by some measures, the world’s -biggest online commerce company. Its three main sites – Taobao, Tmall and Alibaba.com – have hundreds of millions of users, and host millions of merchants and businesses. Alibaba handles more business than any other e-commerce company.
10) Something for the Weekend? Oh go on, here you are….
So Scotland has voted against independence. Apart from the ‘No’ campaigners, the other big winners were the bookies.