5th July 2014
1) Create UK – Ad industry joins scheme to put creative industries at heart of economic growth. The five-point plan focuses on education and skills, finance, infrastructure, intellectual property and international exports . Includes a £16m creative skills fund that will invest in apprenticeships and support new talent.
2) Yosemite is 150 years old – On June 30 1864, Abraham Lincoln, in the midst of the Civil War, signed the Yosemite Land Grant in an effort to protect and preserve one of America’s most majestic places for future generations.Wonderful images of this beautiful place and a video here.
3) The winners from this year’s ITV’s Thinkbox Planning Awards.Including – Sony Playstation, John Lewis, Just Eat, Ministry of Sound, East Coast Trains and Prostrate Cancer.
4) Mobile Ad Spending To fly Past Newspapers, Magazines, Radio This Year.
5) For me, it was always a book that conjured up powerful mental pictures –Franz Kafka’s Metamorphosis ( one hundred years old this year ) is here brought to life in the style of a children’s picture book.
6) From @mariapopova – Malcolm Gladwell on Criticism, Tolerance and Changing Your Mind “That’s your responsibility as a person, as a human being – to constantly be updating your positions on as many things as possible. And if you don’t contradict yourself on a regular basis, then you’re not thinking.”
7) Sheryl Sandberg’s non-apology, as Facebook secretly ‘toyed with some users emotions for scientific purposes’.
“There’s no review process, per se. Anyone on that team could run a test. They’re always trying to alter peoples’ behaviour.” The WSJ takes you inside Facebook’s data lab where experiments had few limits.
8) Funny – Ten tricks to appear smart during a meeting.
9) Is 3D Printing the next Industrial Revolution? A TED Video.
10) Mick Jagger introduces Monty Python Live.